Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Beginning of the End with a Bang not a Whimper

When I showed my mom my blog, her first reaction was "Well, that's kind of cool. You're beginning the end." Confused? Me, too. I asked her what she meant and she responded with "This is the beginning of your final project. You're beginning the work for the end of the class." Well, huh. "Does that make you happy or sad?"

Well, mom, it's a little of both. I'm happy to be that much closer to the end of my senior year, but I've also really enjoyed this class. I've done pretty well, and I've grown as a creator and a consumer.

But for all that I've learned, that just makes this project more difficult. I want all the hard work I have put into this course to culminate into one magnificent production so I can say I went out with a bang instead of a whimper. And to do that, this will take a lot of work.

Lisa and I have a solid plot: The story of MC and her attempts to make the world a better place for LGBT+ people like herself by fighting bullying and ignorance. It's an inspirational drama. Pretty bangin', right?

But that's not all we need. We need killer shots/angles (not my strongest point), impactful sound (which I'd say is my weakest point), solid editing (I'll give this one to myself), and, to make it all work, a full understanding of our purpose and audience. Except we don't even know who our audience is yet. Which is kind of freaking me out.

So I guess I know what we need to do next:

  1. Pick a target audience
  2. Research that audience
  3. Research dramas geared toward that audience
  4. Begin writing script
  5. Probably argue... uh, I mean, have some creative differences
  6. Begin filming
  7. Insert some more creative differences but throw in a lot of self-doubt
  8. Edit
  9. Agonize
  10. Re-edit
  11. Agonize more
  12. Turn in the final product
  13. Start all over again with the A-level project
Now that I've sent myself into a bit of a spiral, I also need to remember that the end is near, but we're still at the beginning. There are a lot of things we shouldn't be sure of yet. We just started this week. And y'know what? We'll figure it out tomorrow. Nobody will hear whimpering from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment