Monday, April 13, 2015

If There's a Minimalism, is there a Maximalism?

Posters are hard. There. I said it. I am not a graphic designer, have never taken a class on computer programs, and I only know how to use basic tools on Photoshop.

However, I know more than Lisa, so this wonderful task was handed over to me (to be fair, the website was handed over to Lisa).

Because of my lack of knowledge with all things design, I took to researching. I started with "what makes a good movie poster." Next, I researched drama movie posters. Then, I thought about how to make ours different, so I looked into minimalist movie posters (minimalism is in right now, right?). From there, I noticed that many minimalist posters are also graphic posters, so I took the time to look into those.

With all these poster ideas running through my head, I got stuck on the idea of branding. We need a central image that can carry over between all media, as well as one that can be used for the campaign we're our production companies are starting to go along with the movie.

That, my dear friends, was when I recalled The Hunger Games poster:


It's a graphic, central image that is representative of not only the movie but also the cause. Granted, this cause is fictional, but the idea is still the same. The best part was that The Hunger Games has just about the same target audience as Alma's Angel, so I knew that this marketing technique would work. Picking an image was easy: The movie is called Alma's Angel, so our graphic should be wings. I had the perfect movie poster sitting in my brain.

After all this, though, I still didn't know how to make the poster, so I once again took to the Internet, uncovering this little beauty:

A wonderfully large photo of a basic outline for a movie poster.

We already had a font, I had our central image, and we knew who the actors all were. I quickly came up with a hashtag (#BeTheChange) and less-quickly came up with a tagline (It only takes one person to make a difference). All that was left was putting it all together.

Wow. I just made that process sound so much easier than it actually was. Suffice it to say, Photoshop is not a user-friendly program. But I did it! It's complete!

Ladies and gentlemen, I am so much more than simply proud to present the completed movie poster for our film,  Alma's Angel. You may begin the applause.

The completed poster for Alma's Angel, credits, ratings, and all.

And, because no long message is complete without a P.S., here's mine: I also made a campaign poster. Here it is:

This poster will be featured in our trailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment